The Family

The Family

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Week 9

So this week's test went a lot better than the first test in pharmacology. We finished our lecture for our second test in 507 and lets say there is almost 75 pages of notes to study, wow! If you calculate it out that only leaves 1 question for every page and a half. It should be interesting. I was a rock star on the IV station in clinicals this week. I got 16 out of 20 starts. Using lidocaine totally sucks, but it is easier for the patients. You find you vein and inject the lidocaine and it totally disappears. The second day in clinical I was able to do a total care day. It was awesome. Our first case was a sternal wound debridement. It was a known difficult airway so they did the fiber optic scope. But the patient had a snaggle tooth that cut the ETT cuff on the way in so they had to change it out. Then in the middle of the case the plastic surgeon looks over the drape and kind of frantically says "we are going to need blood." There was blood all over his face sheild and the guys chest was full of blood. All of the sudden there were MDA's, CRNA's and RN's all over the place. They were starting IV's, hanging albumin and getting blood. I hope I can move that fast someday. Another case was a septoplasty, they were taking a hammer and a chisel to some guys nose. I guess it really isn't that different from construction work after all. Oh, well it was fun. Phil

No comments: